Phone: +61 09 444 7197
Mail: Random House New Zealand, Private Bag 102950, North Shore Mail Centre 0745
Personal information is important to Random House
1. Random House is committed to safeguarding personal privacy. It recognises that individuals have a right to control how their personal information is collected and used. Providing personal information is an act of trust and it is taken seriously. Unless given consent to do otherwise, Random House will only collect and use personal information as set out below.
Collecting personal information
6. Random House will not collect or monitor any personal information about an individual without their consent. The only personal information collected is what has been provided voluntarily.
7. When a product is purchased or through marketing / promotional activities (eg. via this website, in a store, over the telephone etc.), personal information may be requested (such as name, phone, email and address) in order to provide product information, newsletters, electronic newsletters (e-newsletters), new release / launch information, and to advise of other Random House products, competitions or events, which may be of interest. No one is obligated to provide personal information. However, failure to do so may result in Random House being unable to provide you with upcoming promotion, event or product information and/or provide certain services including after sales services.
8. In common with many commercial websites we may also collect information which tells us about visitors to our website. For example, we may collect information about the date, time and duration of visits and which pages of the website are most commonly accessed. This information is generally not linked to the identity of visitors, except where the website is accessed via links in an email we have sent.
9. Random House New Zealand’s policy for collecting personal information from children under the age of 18 is to seek the permission of a parent or guardian for the collection of this information.
Using and disclosing your personal information
11. Personal information will be used for the following primary purposes:
a. For the purposes for which it was collected (as advised on the website)
b. To maintain our relationship with an individual
c. To fulfil obligations under any sale and purchase contract and/or any other contract between the individual and Random House
d. To render services related to Random House business such as after sales services
e. To provide information about products, new book releases, events, special offers, competitions and promotions
f. To provide you with newsletters and electronic newsletters (e-newsletters)
g. To obtain opinions or comments about products and/or services
h. To record statistical data for marketing analysis
12. For the purposes described above, information may be shared with Random House group companies either in Australia or overseas. Also, in order to operate the website or deliver a service, personal information may also be shared with a service provider or other non-Random House company or professional.
13. Random House recognises the trust with which individuals provide personal information, and such information will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes without consent, except in exceptional cases when disclosure may be required by law or is necessary to protect the rights or property of Random House, any Random House group company, any member of the public, or to lessen a serious threat to a person's health or safety.
Contact by Random House
14. Random House may contact individuals via telephone, SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), IM (Instant Messaging), email, post or any other form of electronic, emerging, digital or conventional communications channel using the information provided in order to contact individuals in respect of the primary purposes for collection of personal information as stated in clauses 11– 13 above.
15. Random House does not send advertising or marketing information without obtaining prior consent. If an individual receives communications from Random House which they do not wish to receive, they may remove their name from the database either by contacting the webmaster by email: email@example.com; telephone: +61 09 444 7197; or mail: Random House New Zealand, Private Bag 102950, North Shore Mail Centre 0745. Please allow 14 days for this request to be processed.
An individual’s right of access
16. Individuals have the right to review the information that may be recorded on the Random House database. Information may be reviewed by contacting the Random House, webmaster by email: firstname.lastname@example.org; telephone: +61 09 444 7197; or mail: Random House New Zealand, Private Bag 102950, North Shore Mail Centre 0745. Please allow 14 days for this request to be processed.
Changing and deleting the information we have about you
17. Information contained on the database may be amended by contacting the Random House webmaster by email: email@example.com; telephone: +61 09 444 7197; or mail: Random House New Zealand, Private Bag 102950, North Shore Mail Centre 0745. Please allow 14 days for this request to be processed.
18. In the same way, a request may be made to delete personal information, and all reasonable steps to delete the information will be made, except where it is required for legal reasons. Deletion of information may result in Random House being unable to provide you with upcoming promotion, competition, event or product information and/or provide certain services including after sales services.
Storage and security of personal information
19. Random House will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any personal information recorded, and to keep this information accurate and up to date. The information is stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities.
20. In some cases these facilities may be overseas. Random House employees and data processors are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by Random House. However, security of communications over the internet cannot be guaranteed, and therefore absolute assurance that information will be secure at all times cannot be given. Random House will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to personal information.
Random House and links to other websites
21. The Random House website may, from time to time, contain links to the websites of other organisations which may be of interest to you. Linked websites are responsible for their own privacy practices and you should check those websites for their respective privacy statements. Random House is not responsible for the conduct of companies linked to the Random House website.
Problems or queries