Our Community Guidelines
We encourage you to join our vibrant community of readers to receive exclusive reader opportunities, enter competitions, receive advance news and invites to special events and generally to learn about the incredible books and authors that we have to offer. When we say we or us, we mean Penguin Random House New Zealand Limited. When we say community, we mean all of the places on www.randomhouse.co.nz where users spend time and can contribute. We also encourage you to share your opinions, ask questions and begin discussions on our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
We may at any time revise these Community Guidelines by updating this posting. Since you are bound by these Community Guidelines each time you visit this website, you should periodically check these Community Guidelines.
Enjoy a fun, safe and vibrant community of readers and be nice to each other.
We Value Fairness and Fair Play
If you upload your own avatar for your user account, please ensure that your avatar image is owned by you and features no one else other than you (if you wish to appear at all). Don’t upload an avatar containing nudity, explicit or objectionable content or content of bad taste.
It is important to remember that you are responsible for your interactions with other users. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other users.
If you see anything that you believe violates these rules or the spirit of our community, please do us a favour and let us know immediately by sending an email to email@example.com. If applicable, please include in your email a link to any relevant content and your reasons for objecting to it.
We Encourage You to Write Reviews
Always keep in mind that you are reviewing the writing and not the writer when sharing your views. The purpose of the review system is to inspire, inform, enable and help other users to find the right book. To that end, try to keep in mind that the more constructive your critique is, the more useful it will be to other people.
Content posted by users on this website reflects the opinions and experience of those users, and not us.
As a guide, the following are some common-sense tips when posting any material to our website.
You must NOT at any time on our website:
- Post any reviews, comments, content or photos that don't belong to you. Copyright infringement is serious to us and our authors and illustrators.
- Post content that includes a photograph or image of another person that has been submitted without that person’s consent.
- Use vulgar language in your comments or reviews.
- Post content that is obscene, pornographic, abusive, or harassing/threatening in nature, content that contains nudity, violence or offensive subject matter or a link to an adult website, or content that exploits people in a sexual or violent manner.
- Post content that incites someone to violence or to commit a criminal act or depicts, alludes to or promotes illegal behaviour or any criminal activity or enterprise.
- Post content that is patently offensive or promotes racism, bigotry, hatred, or physical harm of any kind against group or individual.
- Post content that solicits funds or services, including but not limited to content that involves commercial activities and/or sales without our prior written consent such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising or pyramid schemes.
- Post content that solicits personal information from another person, content that provides personal information of another person, or content that violates someone’s privacy. Personal information includes but is not limited to telephone numbers, street addresses, passwords, email addresses, last names or personal banking or financial information.
- Post content that contains viruses or malware, such as Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, easter eggs or other computer programming routines that may damage, modify, delete, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, access without authority or expropriate any system, data or personal information.
- Impersonate anyone or hide behind handles.
- Post content that libels or defames another person.
- Spam. Do not create misleading descriptions, tags, titles or thumbnails in or der to increase views. It's not okay to post large amounts of untargeted, unwanted or repetitive content, including comments and private messages. This includes the transmission of ‘junk mail’, ‘chain letters’, or unsolicited mass mailing, instant messaging, or ‘spamming’.
- Post excessively long comments or reviews. Reviews longer than 250 words may not be allowed.
- Comments or reviews posted anonymously may be removed immediately.
- Post content that has been used in previous marketing materials or promotions for any third party or where any third party has been granted use of that content for any purpose whatsoever, including commercial purposes.
- Post content that does not strictly comply with any of our competition or contest requirements.
We encourage our users to contribute to our website; however, content that may offend other users or is in breach of the above guidelines is subject to be being removed from the website immediately.
Upload Original Content Only
Respect the copyright of others. Only upload content you made or are permitted to use. This means no photos, images, literature or any other stuff you’ve found which you did not create or do not have the permission to use. Remember that just because content is freely viewed does not always mean it can be freely used.
If It’s Private Keep it Private
We ask that our users do everything in their power to protect not only their own privacy online, but the privacy of our fellow users as well. This means that you shouldn’t post anyone’s personal information on any of our communities. No phone numbers, addresses, emails, or anything else that isn’t yours to share. Additionally, don’t distribute user comments or content or post it in other online venues without that user’s permission.
User Safety is a Priority
We take user safety very seriously at Penguin Random House New Zealand. If you feel that another user is exhibiting predatory behaviour toward you or another user, including but not limited to stalking, threats, harassment, or intimidation, or otherwise not acting in the spirit of our community, please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not try to confront the user on your own. If applicable, please include in your email a link to any relevant content and your reasons for objecting to it.
You can send private messages to us with feedback, questions or issues.
We will do our best to help you with the information or assistance you are seeking.
Last updated on: 1 January 2016